Why would you want a student visa to travel to Barcelona?
Because obtaining a student visa to travel to Barcelona will allow you to live and study in Spain for a length of time ranging between 3 months and one year, depending on the course you enroll in.
Long term or short term student visa to travel to Barcelona?
It is very important to regulate the legal situation of extra-communitary citizens depending on the length of their stay.
- Short term stay (3 months or less): Verification of your country of origin is sufficient. Remember that a short term student visa cannot be renewed in Spain, it must be done from your country of origin.
- Long term stay (6 to 12 months): The visa must necessarily be acquired from the Spanish Consulate or Embassy in your country of origin.
Besides Spain, a student visa allows you to travel within the countries pertaining to the Schengen Area: Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Norway, Holland, Poland, Portugal, the Check Republic and Switzerland.
Requirements for foreigners to obtain a student visa to travel to Barcelona
The main requirements for attaining a student visa are:
- Not being a citizen of the European Union.
- Not being forbidden from entering Spain, i.e. not having been denied entry on any previous occasion.
- Having sufficient funds to support the expenses of one’s stay and to be able to return to one’s country of origin. Thus, you must have access to the following amounts:
- For your living expenses, you must have at your disposal 100% of the IPREM, or Multiplier Effect on Index of Revenue ( €532,51 ). Excepting proof of having pre-paid lodging (housing or apartment) for the duration of your stay.
- In case of being supported by direct relatives, you must have at your disposal 75% of the IPREM for the first relative ( €399,38 ) and 50% for each further relative ( €266,26 ). Excepting proof of having pre-paid lodging (housing or apartment) for the duration of your stay.
- Having medical insurance
- In case of being underage and not accompanied by a parent, proof of custody must be presented for the duration of your stay. If the legal representative in question is foreign, proof of residency will be required.
- The education center must have admitted the applicant.
- Only for stays of over 6 months, you must also fulfill the following:
- Not having a criminal record in Spain. Nor having committed crime in the past five years in your country or prior residence.
- Not suffering from any illness which could endanger public health.
Necessary paperwork for obtaining a student visa to travel to Barcelona
It is very important to make copies of all paperwork as well as presenting the originals during application.
- Printout of the national visa application. It can be obtained here. If the student is underage, the document must be signed by his/her parents or legal representative.
- Valid passport.
- Proof of sufficient funds for the stay and subsequent return to the country of origin.
- Proof of medical insurance
- In case of staying over 6 months, a medical certificate is required.
- Also in case of staying over 6 months, criminal record certificate is required.
- Proof of admission from an education center.
Interested? Enroll now at AIP!
At AIP we are able to complete this process easily and quickly. We confirm the student’s admission so as to obtain his or her student visa for Barcelona trough the Matriculation Certificate. This document proves the student’s acceptance and registration at the education center. It lists the course subjects, the name of the party or parties legally responsible for the education centre, and the names of its teachers, as well as:
- The student’s information: Full name and passport number.
- The course the student has enrolled in.
- Exact beginning and ending dates of the course (which will determine the duration of the visa, it is vital to be clear on this point).
- The amount paid for the course (this is extremely important, since if it is not entirely paid off, it could be a problem).
By delivering this paperwork, anybody who fulfills the requirements may obtain a student visa to travel to Barcelona.
If you are considering a 1 year visa, you will need to do a master’s degree, or if you would prefer a shorter stay, you can check out our courses.
For any further information or inquiry, please contact us.
Happy Hump Day!